To really understand how online reputation management works, you should also understand how and why web sites rank in the search results. This is also referred to as SEO or search engine optimization. In the early days of the internet, it was easy to rank a web site for a specific term or search phrase. All you needed to do was create content with your desired keyword multiple times. Another method was to building incoming links to your site and have the anchor text and the phrase you were trying to rank for.
How to Use SEO for Online Reputation Management (ORM)
Neither of these methods work today, and doing so can actually penalize your site in the process. This is why it’s important for every individual, brand and online business to understand why, where and how mentions of their name appear in the search results.
9 Key Points for Cleaning Up Your Online Reputation Nightmare
For every individual, blogger, social media user or online brand — content is everything. While most businesses and brands invest their time and money in content creation, not all of them are doing it correctly. MarketingLand recently came out with an article that covers 9 different key points for how brands and individuals can use SEO in their favor to rank their own content and other positive content online above any unfavorable or competitive content in the search results.
In addition to each of the key points below, we also included a unique summary as well.
- Include Your Name Within Positive Content The number one factor in getting content to rank, is still using the right working and phrases within your content. Focus on content that reads well and is use properly. Make sure your content sounds like it was written for people and not search results.
- Ensure Positive Pages Contain Your Name In The Title Tag In addition to using the correct words and phrases, you also need to know how to properly format your articles. This includes using your keyword in your title tag and throughout headers within your content.
- Ensure Positive Pages Contain Your Name In The URL Every article has a URL string, which is the address for the content on a site. Improve your chances for ranking for a specific term by including your targeted keyword within your URL.
- Register & Build Out A Domain Containing Your Name Domain names are how people find your site. Once a domain name is purchased, it’s gone forever and there is only one of each. Everyone should try and register their personal name and brand name before someone else tries to register it.
- Set Up Social Media Profiles In Your Name There are over 2 billion people across all of the major social networks. If you aren’t already one of them, you should be. Social profiles rank extremely well in the search results. Just like domain names, you should try and get your name before someone else does.
- Post Images That Represent Your Name Content should be number one on your list, but images and videos are also up there as well. Through Google Images you can search and find millions of images online. Make sure you create and use positive images around your name, so they rank for your preferred search results as well.
- Build Links And Reference Citations As mentioned, links are one of the major contributing factors to getting content to rank well. This means you should continually be linking out to reliable sources and including link back to your own sites, social networks and mentions on other sites.
- Create A Video In Your Name YouTube is the largest video site online and they are also a search engine as well. Creating videos around your personal and brand name is a great way to stand out from the crowd and to quickly secure high quality listings within the search results.
- Lather, Rinse, Repeat After mastering each of these methods above, it’s time for you to go through the process all over again. However, don’t always focus on the same keywords, phrases and resources. Mix it up and secure your position across multiple platforms and search terms. During this whole process you will also want to be monitoring the results from your efforts. To do this, you can setup a free keyword monitoring service so you are notified when and where new online mentions appear for your name or brand.
The Key Benefits of SEO & ORM
As you can see, SEO and ORM go hand in hand. While it’s quite time consuming to work on your own search engine optimization and online reputation management for your own sites and brands, you can work alongside InternetReputation.com to make sure the job is done right. Our award winning ORM services helped over 15,000 clients.
To get started or even to simply ask us for advice, please call (888) 615-4895.